- Nov 2014 | Postdoc at the Center of Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research, Dept. of Complex Trait Genetics, VU University
- Jan 2011- Jun 2011 | Visiting scholar at the Complex Trait Genomics Group, Queensland Brain Institute
- Oct 2010 - Oct 2014 | Phd student at the Dept. of Psychiatry at the University Medical Center Utrecht and Academic Medical Center Amsterdam
- Jan 2010 – Jun 2010 | Visiting student at the Dept. of Cognitive Sciences, University of California Irvine
- Sep 2008 - Sep 2010 | Research Master Psychology at the University of Amsterdam
- Sep 2004 - Sep 2008 | Bachelor Psychology at the University of Utrecht
- Sep 2000 - Sep 2004 | Bachelor and Master Computer Science at the University of Utrecht
I am interested in the application and study of statistical and machine learning techniques in genetic research. Specifically, the use of additional biological information to identify reliable statistical patterns in genome-wide association data is becoming increasingly important. Currently my research focuses on genetic heterogeneity in schizophrenia, investigating the clustering of genetic variants across specific biological pathways.
- Stringer S, Nieman DH, Kahn RS, & Derks EM (in press). Genome-wide association analysis in schizophrenia. In Genome-Wide Association Studies: From Polymorphism to Personalized Medicine.
- Stringer S, Kahn RS, de Witte LD, Ophoff R, & Derks EM (2014). Genetic liability for schizophrenia predicts risk of immune disorders. Schizophrenia Research.
- Wray NR, Byrne EM, Stringer S, & Mowry BJ (2014). Future Directions in Genetics of Psychiatric Disorders. In Behavior Genetics of Psychopathology (pp. 311-337). Springer, New York.
- Stringer S, Derks EM, Kahn RS, Hill WG, & Wray NR (2013). Assumptions and properties of limiting pathway models for analysis of epistasis in complex traits. PLoS One, 8, e68913
- Spanagel R, Durstewitz D, Hannsson, […], Stringer S, Smits Y, & Derks EM (2013). A systems medicine research approach for studying alcohol addiction. Addiction Biology, 18, 883-896.
- Stringer S, Wray NR, Kahn RS, Derks EM (2011). Underestimated effect sizes in GWAS: fundamental limitations of single SNP analysis for dichotomous phenotypes. PLoS One, 6, e27964
- Stringer S, Borsboom D, & Wagenmakers, E-J (2011). Bayesian inference for the information gain model. Behavioral Research Methods, 43, 297-309.
- Stringer S, Ouweneel APE & Le Blanc PM (2009). Emotionele arbeid en psychologisch welzijn van docenten [Emotional labour and teacher well-being]. Gedrag en Organisatie [Behavior and Organisation], 22, 214-231.
VU - Center for Neurogenomics and Cognitive Research
+31 20 598 9577