Dirk Jan Ardesch
• 2018-present PhD candidate VU University
• 2017-2018 Research assistant University Medical Center Utrecht
• 2015-2017 MSc Neuroscience & Cognition Utrecht University
• 2012-2015 BSc Liberal Arts & Sciences University College Utrecht
The human brain consists of white matter fibers that connect numerous parts of the brain into an immensely complex network, called the connectome. In order to understand the conserved commonalities but also the specific properties of the connectome that may give rise to unique human specializations, my research currently focuses on the evolutionary aspects of the brain network by comparing the connectomes of humans and non-human primate species.
• Ardesch DJ, Scholtens LH, Li L, Preuss TM, Rilling JM, van den Heuvel MP. (2019) Evolutionary expansion of connectivity between multimodal association areas in the human brain compared with chimpanzees. Proc Natl Acad Sci 116(14):7101–7106.
• Ardesch DJ, Scholtens LH, van den Heuvel MP. (2019) The human connectome from an evolutionary perspective. Prog Brain Res 250:129-151
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
+31 20 598 78 12